Re: Initial rc6 development.

Hi Tom,

On 05/18/2018 11:51 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
On 18/05/18 17:38, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
As we approach the v5 stable release, I want to discuss a something we
should seriously consider before we open the flood gates for new feature
merges after the v5 branch.  We are currently in an awkward position
with regards to gtk3 builds on Linux.  Given that most distros are now
building wx against gtk3, we really should work towards fixing this at
the beginning of v6 and back porting it as soon as possible so that we
can better support the current Linux distros.  Fortunately, most distros
have thankfully provided a gtk2 build version of wx in order to build
kicad.  However, they have not done the same thing for wxpython so for
most new distro releases, we have to build kicad without wxpython
support.  I propose we spend some time immediately after the v5 release
and fix the gtk3 issues before we start making major changes to the code
base so that it is not difficult to back port.  Anyone else have any
thoughts on this?

Wayne,

I would put most of the effort on developing the GAL version of
eeschema. It's not our fault that Linux distros change the APIs of
essential system libraries every 2 years. As a short term solution, I
would propose distributing a distro-agnostic binary Kicad package that
includes all dependencies, including wx and gtk2 libraries. In the
longer run, GALified schematic editor is IMHO the way to go.

Best,
Tom

This still doesn't address the wxpython issue or the fact that v5 will always have to support gtk2. Given our current stable release turnover, it could (will?) be a few years before v6 is released. It also doesn't address the fact that the legacy canvas in eeschema which will be part of v6 will require gtk2. While a agree that this is going to be a PITA, I just don't see how we can avoid it.

Cheers,