Re: 5.0 RC2 / release status

On 18/05/18 16:44, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
If any of our doc and library devs are on this mailing list, please
forward this information so we aren't making major changes to the docs
and libraries at the last minute.

We have one important pull request open that i will fix up my self tomorrow if the contributor does not fix the remaining issues him self. (Removing duplicate power pins from symbols as this can be quite dangerous if the user connects them multiple times.)

After this is merged i will tag the library with "5.0.0-rc2" (Tomorrow evening)

After this tag is set we will no longer allow renaming of libs until v6 development. (Adding new libs will still be allowed.)

I will also create a kicad 4 compatibility backport for this lib. (The intention is to allow users to use the new library structure for new projects even if they can not update to a nightly build. This should reduce their work when they then switch over to kicad 5)

This backport will contain a reduced number of footprints as footprints with custom or roundrect pads are not supported by kicad 4. I will also backport the symbol libs. The 3d lib does not need any work in this regard but i will still ad a separate release tag to make it easier for users. Not sure if i will make a backport of the templates. Creating this backport will take some time but i hope to have it done one week after the rc2 tag is set.

Regarding the issue about footprint connection you reported in [1]:
All symbols that have a valid symbol in the footprint lib are now correctly connected. Sadly a lot of symbols still need footprints to be generated. (Symbols where in the lib that never had a valid footprint) Some of this will be fixed after the rc2 release. This will not impact the library structure so i assume we can include these changes in the final v5 release. (It will simply add more footprints.)

[1]: https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-symbols/issues/520