Re: Netlist generation for pins with no-connects

Hi Jon,

just for clarification:
I can attach a NC to a signal thats connected to only one component pin in eeschema. ERC then recognizes that the signal is terminated and does not throw an error. I can also give that net a label that is then exported to the netlist (with a leading "/", maybe to signal it's a single pad net?).

What I did not check until today (with 4.0.7):
I can put that net into a net group. When reading the netlist into Pcbnew I have to check "keep single pad nets". Then the design rule is observed during routing. Very fine!

Why would I do something like this?
Lets say I have a transformer in my design that has two mains windings with a common middle pin. That pin is not used in my design but still carries mains voltage. I would give that pin a net with a name and then in pcbnew in the design rules I can put that net (easily, due to its name) in a net group with a high distance from other nets.

On a sidenote:

I work for a company where we do this all the time (in Zuken) to be able to handle (very) complex designs where high voltages and low voltage control circuits are on the same board.

Checking this today in Pcbnew also showed me, that net groups can only have one distance. I wonder if no one until now had the requirement where nets in different voltage domains need to be kept away from another but can have a close distance within the net group. Can Pcbnew/Kicad do this? Or is this too exotic of an requirement? I know that this can get _very_ complex when you have up to over 100 net groups due to isolation requirements…

Regards,
  André

Zitat von Jon Evans <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

For your PS, do you mean NCs attached to the end of wires rather than the
end of pins?  I don't think that's how it's designed to work today (NC
symbols are only for pins)  We could add that though.

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 12:50 PM, André S. <list.dev.kicad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>