Re: How to help users handle updating from version 4 to version 5 with regards to fp-lib-table handling?

On 06/22/2018 01:05 AM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 22.06.2018 um 04:52 schrieb Adam Wolf:
>> Is there any way we can detect if the fp-lib-table is out of sync and
>> tell a user at run time?
>
> I'm too seeing this point not only related to the update now from V4 to
> V5 and this is completely unrelated to the OS the user is running on at all.
>
> For my rather small local environment it was quite fast to remove the
> old file and let KiCad put the new default file in place. But in more
> complex installations this doing is very annoying and error prune
> because users need to deal with manual reading of content. KiCad needs
> some better (automatic) handling here. But not only telling the user
> some required update, also doing this in a automatic way.

This is not a trivial fix.  Blindly copying the default global library
tables every time they change would overwrite any user customization
which is a not an option.  It then becomes a merge operation which is
far more complex.  I'm not opposed to an optional merge solution if
someone has the time to implement it.