Re: Separated debug symbols

Hi,

On 26.10.2018 22:18, Maciej Suminski wrote:

> I have not pushed the patch yet, as I still wonder whether adding
> another CMake flag is a good idea. Just now I realized that there are
> just a few extra commands to create the needed files, so perhaps they
> could be executed by the build scripts on Jenkins hosts.

Ideally, we'd always build separate debug info with Debug builds if the
toolchain supports it. So, no need for a separate option, I think.

On MSVC, separate debug info is already the default, so we should do
nothing there.

The GNU toolchain also has build IDs, which allows keeping multiple
versions of debug information, and

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32861480/cmake-save-stripped-debug-information

has a nice fragment for that, although the build ID needs to be
generated somewhere (and distros need a way to pass them in for
reproducible builds). The ID would be accessible from the About dialog
as well so you know which debug package to download.

   Simon