Re: Separated debug symbols

ApHi Simon,

On 10/27/18 1:33 AM, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 26.10.2018 22:18, Maciej Suminski wrote:
>
>> I have not pushed the patch yet, as I still wonder whether adding
>> another CMake flag is a good idea. Just now I realized that there are
>> just a few extra commands to create the needed files, so perhaps they
>> could be executed by the build scripts on Jenkins hosts.
>
> Ideally, we'd always build separate debug info with Debug builds if the
> toolchain supports it. So, no need for a separate option, I think.

I like the idea, especially that after using --add-gnu-debuglink there
is no difference in how one launches gdb. Still, in the initial phase I
would add the flag enabled by default. In case of problems one can
easily turn it off.

> On MSVC, separate debug info is already the default, so we should do
> nothing there.

Apart from providing .pdb files on the download site, but that applies
to the debug information created with this patch as well.

> The GNU toolchain also has build IDs, which allows keeping multiple
> versions of debug information, and
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32861480/cmake-save-stripped-debug-information
>
> has a nice fragment for that, although the build ID needs to be
> generated somewhere (and distros need a way to pass them in for
> reproducible builds). The ID would be accessible from the About dialog
> as well so you know which debug package to download.

Build-IDs seem even better. I will explore this method, thank you for
the tip.

Cheers,
Orson