Re: [RFC] Symbol library file format

Hi Wayne,

I would like to take this opportunity to do an elevator pitch for idea of
using one of IDL languages widely accepted in the industry like Apache
Thrift or Google Protobufs to define formats in KiCad.
There are few large benefits in favor of using such languages:

1. They are self documenting. No more keeping a google doc in sync with
sources.
2. They are easily extensible. Just add a field, old parsers will ignore
it, new ones will pick it up. Need to deprecate a field? Just add it's ID
to reserved list to never reuse it again.
3. They have code generators for pretty much all commonly used languages.
That means anyone can pick KiCad file and just parse it in Java/Go/Haskell
or whatever language they fancy without porting over s-expressions library
or meticulously studying the file format doc. This opens lot's of
possibilities for third party tools to be added to KiCad ecosystem. Writing
a web viewer for schematic/pcb would be a piece of cake for example.

Other probably less impactful benefits:
4. Easy to serialize/encode in multiple formats. Need to send data over
network in compact form? No problem, just serialize using compact binary
protocol. Need to store in text file? just use text encoder.
5. Code generators will reduce amount of boilerplate in KiCad source. Only
actual application logic needs to be added on top of generated data objects.

I have personally worked extensively with both Thrift and Protobufs, I
think for KICad use case proto is better fit. Thrift has a lot more library
support for client/server RPC logic and defining RPCs is core part of the
language but we don't need any of that (at least for now). Proto has all of
that as extensions but it's core is just definition of data types and it
has better support for plain text format.
Here are docs for both:
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/
https://thrift.apache.org/tutorial/

Let me know if any of that sounds interesting and if you have any
questions. I think this is worth investing time into and I'm willing to
help if needed.

Regards,
Andrew