Re: [RFC] Symbol library file format

Hi Wayne,

On 02.01.19 23:20, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

>> This would be an artificial unit for the file format, not necessarily
>> the true internal unit (which I want to unify across the entire program
>> as soon as feasible, but that should be independent from the file formats).

> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a true internal unit.

The unit we're currently using internally (1nm for pcbnew, 1mil for
eeschema, etc). This one shouldn't leak into the file format IMO.

>> The other thing I'd like to see are standard properties for tagging
>> library conformance, so components that have been verified by library
>> maintainers would contain the name, version and variant of the library
>> conventions they have been tested against, and these tags would be
>> removed when editing.

[...]

> I'm not sure it's a good idea to embed this information in symbol
> libraries because how would it be defined for a user (non-KiCad)
> library.  It could give users a false impression that a library is an
> official library if it's abused.

That's why it would be nice to have name/version/variant. Official libs
would use "KLC" as the name, while users can define their own in-house
rules if they need to.

   Simon