Re: Hoping to contribute but I have some questions

Wayne

My prior approach was to
1) verify that the was/is change list produces no errors on the schematic (since it is derived from the PCB there can be discrepancies).
2) if there were no errors, update the PCB and schematic reference designations
3) update the netlist with the new reference designations.
4) direct the user to re-import the netlist, which rebuilds the associations.

Obviously 3) and 4) can be problematic for a variety of reasons. What I would propose is to simply regenerate the netlist from within eeSchema and reimport that into PCBNew.

I should point out that what I am proposing is currently done manually. In other words, somebody would manually change all the reference designations in PCBNew and either simultaneously make the change in eeSchema or keep a handwritten was/is list to do it subsequently. The manual approach is not only a huge amount of work, it is fraught with the potential for error. The way to test coherency between the PCB and schematic is to update the netlist, reimport it, and, if possible, run a DRC. Once a schematic's reference designations get out of whack with the PCB it can be really hard to fix. I don't make large boards and these two issues were why I wrote my utility in the first place.

Automating the process is not only a huge timesaver but it greatly reduces the odds of an error.

In any event, regardless of the approach, netlist coherency can be resolved by re-creating the netlist from the updated schematic in eeSchema and re-importing it into PCBNew. This is what would have to be done if somebody did the reannotation manually.

I have been looking at cross-probing.cpp and I see a clear path to the solution by adding a small number of additional message types. This could include directing the eeSchema to generate a netlist, cross-application error reporting, etc..

Does that make sense or am I missing something?

Thanks

Brian