What is the difference between the use of 3d model search path entries and normal path variables (environment variables)?

Hi,

I noticed that the configure path tool in the footprint editor has a new part added to it. This part seems to manage 3d model search directories. Such a search directory consists of the path, an alias, and a description. As there is a way to change the order of search path entries i would guess that there is also prioritization at play.

Could someone detail how this would be used? Would it clash with the use of normal path variables (after all our official footprints all use the KISYS3DMOD path variable)? Which of the two is preferred assuming these two are meant to serve the same usecase?

Follow ups