Re: What is the difference between the use of 3d model search path entries and normal path variables (environment variables)?

Sadly these do not really answer my questions.

On 15/01/19 17:25, Mário Luzeiro wrote:
Hi Rene,

Not sure if it is documented.
Cirilo was the main person on the development of the 3D searching paths.
Searching the mailing list there may be some hints to this questions, but it may not be totally true or updated at this moment:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg24138.html
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg14225.html
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg24232.html

Regards,
Mario Luzeiro

From: Kicad-developers <kicad-developers-bounces+mrluzeiro=ua.pt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Rene Pöschl <poeschlr@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 11 January 2019 17:25
To: KiCad Developers
Subject: [Kicad-developers] What is the difference between the use of 3d model search path entries and normal path variables (environment variables)?

Hi,

I noticed that the configure path tool in the footprint editor has a new
part added to it. This part seems to manage 3d model search directories.
Such a search directory consists of the path, an alias, and a description.
As there is a way to change the order of search path entries i would
guess that there is also prioritization at play.

Could someone detail how this would be used? Would it clash with the use
of normal path variables (after all our official footprints all use the
KISYS3DMOD path variable)? Which of the two is preferred assuming these
two are meant to serve the same usecase?