Bit of Makefile Help

Hello, I'm new to the dev team and am experimenting with an improvement.

I've done a successful build with provided sources and have revised the modules I believe are applicable.

My initial build took about 3 hours...which is probably typical.

I haven't done a lot of builds with complex makefiles, but generally understand the process.

How can I speed up test build time using make targets ?

Can I assume that as long as I don't 'make clean' then 'make install' should revise the process to only rebuild affected objects?

I've noticed a 'test' target...should just do 'make test' ?

What's everybody else do ?

Much thanks.

Follow ups