Re: Kicad's way of drawing filled zones

Le 10/05/2019 à 18:43, Jon Evans a écrit :
> Does anyone have a good sense of which hardware / software platforms
> would be impacted by a switch to OpenGL 3.0 as baseline requirement?
>
> As far as I am aware, all commercial tools in the space have more
> advanced / modern system requirements than KiCad, with the possible
> exception of Eagle.  We have to consider whether supporting old
> graphics cards goes counter to the desire to have KiCad handle more
> professional use cases (including large designs).
>
> The integrated Intel GPUs that are old enough to not have OpenGL 3.0 are
> no longer supported by Intel (everything since HD2000 series has it, as
> far as I know)
>
> -Jon

Hi Jon,

To be honest, I do not share your opinion, and I am not especially
thrilled by switching to OpenGL 3.0 as baseline requirement as long as
we can avoid it.

OpenGL 2.1 is a reasonable requirement.

What is a professional use case?
I know at least 2 opposite cases:
- A advanced user who designs very complex boards: he needs a recent and
fast computer with 2 (or enev 3) monitors.
- Classroom "users"
They are also professional users who do not design very complex boards.
But force updating the computers just to use Kicad is a serious issue:
As a old teacher I am knowing what I am saying:
In the department I worked before being retired, we have roughly 200 PCs
(most of them are dual boot: Linux and Windows).
Not of all are used to run Kicad, but many of them.
Saying: our new Kicad version needs a recent computer+OS so you have to
change 50 or 100 of your computers in a bit hard for these users.