Re: Undo paradigms

On 5/27/19 11:11 AM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
> On 2019-05-27 11:05, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
>> On 27/05/2019 16:46, Jeff Young wrote:
>>> Hi Seth,
>>>
>>> The Eeschema has one advantage that if you mess it up you get too
>>> many undo steps rather than too few.  But it is somewhat crankier
>>> code to get right.
>>>
>>> I agree that we should have only one scheme.  I don’t believe
>>> anyone’s working on it — although it would probably be Tom if anyone
>>> was.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some time ago we introduced with Orson the COMMIT object, which manages
>> atomic updates to the PCB, lightweight notifications as well as creation
>> of undo entries. How about porting this to eeschema?
>>
>> Tom
>
> Yup, that's exactly the idea.
>
> -Seth

It seems to me the obvious place to put this would be the concrete
SCHEMATIC object in a similar manner to the BOARD object so I'll take a
look at it when I'm working on that.  It will be substantially more
difficult do to the hierarchical sheet issues.  I haven't thought about
it that much yet but it's definitely on my radar.  We've needed a decent
undo/redo solution for hierarchical sheets since I joined the project.

Cheers,