Re: [RFC] Test for Copper zones using solid polygons without outline thickness.

Le 29/05/2019 à 21:31, Seth Hillbrand a écrit :
> On 2019-05-29 10:33, jp charras wrote:
>> Attached a patch that modify the way filled areas (solid polygons) are
>> built in copper areas.
>>
>> Currently, solid polygons are slightly smaller than the exact area, and
>> the polygon outlines have a thickness to fill the exact area.
>> With this patch, polygon outlines have no thickness and the polygons
>> have the exact area.
>>
>> To test it on a given zone, the zone setting must be edited with the
>> "Fill polys without thick outline" checked.
>

> Hi JP-
>
> Why did you decide to make this a user option?  Is there some feature
> that it prevents that a user would want for some areas but not for others?
>
> I tested it with a large board and it reduces the polygon point count by
> almost 50% (!) for complex fills.  If I zoom in on an edge, it appears
> that the approximation count is substantially coarsened by the patch.
> See attached image.  The edge on the right is with the new option
> enabled.  The edge of the left is without the new option.
>
> I didn't find any other issues.  Large boards were much faster and DRC /
> plotting appear consistent between options (with the exception noted above)
>
> -Seth

Thanks Seth for your test.

Currently, having a user option is useful to test and compare the 2
options (the current way, and the new way).

The new way can reduce or augment the polygon points count, depending on
the board.
However the the polygon points count should not significantly change.
(this is important to avoid to many calculation time in DRC, connections...)

The old (current way) using segments to draw outlines, rounded acute
angles are more beautiful (are perfect).
The new way approximate rounded acute angles by segments (16 segments by
circle).
This is really enough, but this is less beautiful, and this is the price
to pay to remove thick outlines, and the associated issues.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS