Re: Ctrl-click to highlight in pcbnew missing?

On 10/09/2019 18:49, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
> One of our goals for v6 is to standardize the user interface to expected
> UX norms.  There will be a number of large changes to accomplish this
> and it will modify some workflows.  Moving the whole system to a
> selection-based interface (eeschema, pl editor as well as pcbnew) is
> good for long-term uptake of the system as well as making it easier to
> maintain.

Well, Ctrl-click to highlight was added by me during early development
of the GAL, because some other tools I'm quite used to have this
shortcut and the legacy highlight tool was a bit awkward for me.
Concerning the UX norms, it's not obvious that Ctrl is the standard way
of adding/removing items from the current selection. A quick test showed
that:
- MS office selection mode (sort of standard for Windows UX), Ctrl and
Shift have the same behaviour.
- LibreOffice ignores Ctrl modifier when selecting, only Shift works
- Same in case of Corel programs.
I know these keys have different function for selection lists (i.e. the
explorer window with folder/file icons), but this is not our case. IMHO
modifier keys (Shift, Alt, Ctrl) in a CAD tool should each have
different frequently used function.

If nobody opposes, I'll add an option in pcbnew preferences to select
between Ctrl-Click and a keyboard-only shortcut for net highlight.

Cheers,
Tom