Re: GitLab migration

On 10/9/19 4:26 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 18:36, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The lead development team has been discussing migrating the KiCad
>> project to GitLab[1].  Given the issues with Launchpad, I think this is
>> a good move.  I've applied for an open source GitLab license.  Assuming
>> we get accepted, I would like to start this process after the 5.1.5
>> release.  Here is a short list of action items that need to be done for
>> the source repo transition:
>>
>> * Freeze the Launchpad source repo.
>> * Push the frozen repo to GitLab.
>
> Why do we need to freeze it? I suggest we do this in incremental
> steps. I mean, a git repo is a git repo. It can easily be mirrored, we
> just need to make sure that changes are pushed to only one. We can
> start just mirroring to gitlab to play around a bit. Migration of
> bugtracker and some CI.

I don't want anyone pushing to this repo similar to the mirror we have
on github.  Making the launchpad repo a mirror is fine.

>> * Disable the Launcpad bug tracker.
>
> Isn't this a bit drastic? Shouldn't we investigate import of the
> current launchpad bug tracker into gitlab?

As I stated below, if we can automate the process that would be ideal.
If you weren't around for the transition from sourceforge to lauchpad,
you would know that this is not too drastic.  I want to avoid new bug
reports being filed on launchpad once we make the move to gitlab.
Dealing with two hosting services at the same time creates extra work
that I would rather not deal with if I can avoid it.

>> * Add a note and link to the Launcpad project page that the project is
>> now hosted on GitLab.
>> * Create blog announcement once the transition is complete.
>>
>> There are a few unknowns:
>>
>> Would it be possible to migrate open bug reports to GitLab?  I suspect
>> we could come up with a script like we did when we migrated from
>> SourceForge.
>>
>> What to do about the mailing list?  GitLab doesn't support mailing lists
>> yet so I'm thinking we leave the mailing list on Launchpad for the short
>> term.  We can always migrate the mailing list at a later date or use
>> some other communication tool such as discourse.
>>
>> Further down the road, I would like to see all of the KiCad source repos
>> including the library, documentation, website, and translation repos
>> migrated to GitLab as well.  It would make my life a lot easier from a
>> project management perspective if they were all in the same place.  I
>> expect there to be some resistance to using a source code version tool
>> but I'm hoping folks will see this as a beneficial move.
>
> What do you mean with that last sentence?

There are always folks who are resistance to any changes.  Obviously we
are still using git as our vcs but the UX of gitlab is different than
github so there will be a learning curve.