Re: GitLab migration

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 18:36, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The lead development team has been discussing migrating the KiCad
> project to GitLab[1].  Given the issues with Launchpad, I think this is
> a good move.  I've applied for an open source GitLab license.  Assuming
> we get accepted, I would like to start this process after the 5.1.5
> release.  Here is a short list of action items that need to be done for
> the source repo transition:
>
> * Freeze the Launchpad source repo.
> * Push the frozen repo to GitLab.

Why do we need to freeze it? I suggest we do this in incremental
steps. I mean, a git repo is a git repo. It can easily be mirrored, we
just need to make sure that changes are pushed to only one. We can
start just mirroring to gitlab to play around a bit. Migration of
bugtracker and some CI.

> * Disable the Launcpad bug tracker.

Isn't this a bit drastic? Shouldn't we investigate import of the
current launchpad bug tracker into gitlab?

> * Add a note and link to the Launcpad project page that the project is
> now hosted on GitLab.
> * Create blog announcement once the transition is complete.
>
> There are a few unknowns:
>
> Would it be possible to migrate open bug reports to GitLab?  I suspect
> we could come up with a script like we did when we migrated from
> SourceForge.
>
> What to do about the mailing list?  GitLab doesn't support mailing lists
> yet so I'm thinking we leave the mailing list on Launchpad for the short
> term.  We can always migrate the mailing list at a later date or use
> some other communication tool such as discourse.
>
> Further down the road, I would like to see all of the KiCad source repos
> including the library, documentation, website, and translation repos
> migrated to GitLab as well.  It would make my life a lot easier from a
> project management perspective if they were all in the same place.  I
> expect there to be some resistance to using a source code version tool
> but I'm hoping folks will see this as a beneficial move.

What do you mean with that last sentence?

> I'm not
> terribly familiar with GitLab but I suspect it's not that much different
> than GitHub as a hosting platform so I don't expect there to be a very
> steep learning curve.  If you have any concerns, now is the time to
> speak up or forever hold your peace.

Are we going to use the merge requests actively or the mailing list?
It should be fairly easy to set up some simple CI for the patches, but
I really think we need to set this up before any move.

It seems that I am the owner of https://gitlab.com/kicad_eda  FWIW.