Re: Plugin/3rd party content manager

I'm in a hurry right now, so I just give few points. You can find some
discussions in the forum (I'll find them later). What I learned when I did
some coding is this:

- Ideal content manager is a separate backend and frontend and reusable for
other projects, too.
- It's really general purpose and actually not tied to KiCad, at least the
backend.
- It doesn't need (and shouldn't) be tied to KiCad even with code, except
minimally. It can be a plugin or separate application - there's no need to
change KiCad.
- It can use existing infrastructures like github, gitlab or any zip files.
- Anyone can easily write a description file for a package and publish it.
There's no need for actual packages (a zip file of the content is enough,
or even any downloadable files).
- It's difficult to decide what it should and should not do so that it
doesn't become a full fledged package management system, is simple enough
but also powerful and flexible enough. (Think about versioning of content
and automatic handling of dependencies.)
- I suggest using python so that it can be a plugin.
- Technically the most difficult part is probably networking (needs all the
boring stuff like error handling and should be asyncronous to be good;
that's where I left off).

I already coded a command line script which can work as plugin. It can
install itself from gitlab when I click the KiCad plugin menu item, so it
basically shows how the infrastructure works. Actually it's possible to
write a package description file for any KiCad plugin and it will install
it. I already did some.

Eeli Kaikkonen

ti 26. marrask. 2019 klo 3.46 Andrew Lutsenko (anlutsenko@xxxxxxxxx)