Re: v6 roadmap and schedule (was: Re: 5.1.5 released.)

On 11/29/2019 9:32 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> pe 29. marrask. 2019 klo 15.56 Wayne Stambaugh (stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>) kirjoitti:
>>
>> It's not as up to date as it should be but it's pretty close
>>
>> https://docs.kicad-pcb.org/doxygen/v6_road_map.html
>

> As you surely know, everybody is very interested about not only the
> features but also the schedule. In the recent interview you said:

I'll give you the standard open source project answer, it will be done
when it's done.  It's the most honest and accurate answer I can give.

> "With Version 6 – due next year – it aims to close the feature parity
> gap with the most popular commercial tools in the market."
>
> How realistic this schedule looks right now? I expect you meant the end
> of the year.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that we couldn't get most of
this implemented by the end of 2020 but it all depends on manpower
availability.

> It would be also interesting to know the order in which the major
> features are coming in, and what is coming for sure and what is less
> sure. For example, the donation campaign video showed that there are
> some major parts more or less ready, waiting to be included. But there
> has been complete silence since then. I have been anxiously waiting to
> be able to test them in action :)

There is no way I would attempt to determine or mandate the order which
features get merged.  They will get merged based on their readiness to
be merged.