Re: GitLab migration

Hi Simon,

On 11/29/2019 1:09 PM, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:49:30PM -0500, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
>> I will also be disabling the Launchpad blueprint and answers pages as
>> well.  We not going to migrate the blueprints to GitLab because the
>> entire blueprint system is a mess due to the lack of sane permissions.
>> We may have to manually migrate the useful blueprints to GitLab once we
>> have a reasonable process for doing so.
>
> One of my main hopes for the migration is to get a workflow for
> collaborative pre-implementation design. Blueprints were a nice idea, but
> they were never fully implemented on Launchpad, and it shows.

It was impossible to implement because anyone with a launchpad account
could create a blueprint and edit any other blueprint.  It was very
poorly implemented so it quickly became meaningless.

> It'd probably make sense to use the Wiki for that, do you know if it is
> possible for non-committers to have limited Wiki editing rights (e.g. an
> "ideas" namespace with looser permissions, and moving the page to the
> "roadmap" namespace later)?

Maybe, but I would rather have a system that a few maintainers who will
ensure the sanity of the system that can edit "blueprints" and anyone
with a GitLab account can comment on but not modify.  Certainly anyone
on the mailing list can recommend a blueprint but it will in no way be
the wild west like the current blueprint system.