Re: Linux Packagers: Resource File Updates

Hi Ian,

Am 29.11.19 um 12:16 schrieb Ian McInerney:
> Carsten, thanks for pointing those changes out. I will update the file
> with them as well. Redoing the screenshots is also on my todo list
> (since they still show a v4 release currently). Do you know what the
> guidelines are for sizing of them?

sorry no.

> I see that the current ones are 1024x576, and I can't seem to find
> any information on the suggested size (other than that Fedora
> recommends they are 16:9).
I've looked at some existing appdata files.

> https://code.videolan.org/jbk/vlc/blob/master/share/vlc.appdata.xml.in.in
> https://die-offenbachs.homelinux.org/hg/eric/file/tip/linux/eric6.appdata.xml.in
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/blob/master/data/gramps.appdata.xml.in
> https://code.videolan.org/jbk/vlc/blob/master/share/vlc.appdata.xml.in.in

They mainly use a resolution with at least 1024px width. But the main
trick in AppStream is that the data is not shipped internally but
integrated as an external source so you can exchange them at any time
and also use them for other things like as an normal screenshot within
the website blog and so on.

I think a size of 1024x576 is fine, but a greater size would also be
o.k. The images should help users to get an overview of the application,
so a bigger screenshot would be better than a smaller one.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert