Re: Altium 20 new interactive routing features

On 02/12/2019 19:15, Kliment (Future Bits) wrote:
> Ignoring the bovine references and attempting to answer the question:
>
> Topological routing means using the connectivity graph of the system to
> generate geometrical constraints, and also to generate specific geometry
> for say traces or polygons. It's called that because it uses concepts
> from the discipline of topology such as Delauney triangulations,
> neighbourhood graphs, Voronoi diagrams, straight skeletons, etc. It
> means you can, for instance, make a set of traces that follow a path
> maximally distant from each obstacle, giving you maximum routing space
> around each trace. A number of autorouting algorithms are based on
> topological concepts, in this case however it specifically refers to
> generating trace shapes such that they have the maximum distance from
> each obstacle at each point along their path, as opposed to being
> constrained to straight line segments.

Kliment & Vesa,

All of this is true - for autorouters. This whole thread started with
Altium's videos about the improvements to their interactive
(semi-manual) router. P&S actually use very few strictly topological
concepts (in the case of Kicad P&S, mainly in the optimizer part of the
code)...

BTW, I'm surprised by the smoothness of the animation in A***m's
promotional videos. Did they use some editing/postprocessing to make
them look this way? :D

Tom