Re: Advice on merge request

Eeli

I have to re-create my fork based on Alexander's Gitlab fork because mine is based on his Github fork, which is a generation behind his Gitlab fork (isn't migrations wonderful?).

Then I have to run it through a style checker. Once I do that (probably a few days, I'll push it out and let everybody know).

Thanks for the input

Brian

On 2020-01-04 4:48 p.m., Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
I have already added Alexander's fork as a "remote" for my local clone of kicad. When I'm back home, I can add yours. You have already forked from Alexander - if you have a local branch based on Alexander's "backannotate" which you want to publish for testing, just push it to your remote, i.e. to your gitlab fork. Then I can see it and fetch, compile and test it, just like I did for Alexander's backannotate. Jon told you what happens after Alexander's is merged to the kicad master (I don't have experience to give you advice about that).

I hope everyone - including the lead developers - follow this workflow when they want their code tested: add a clearly named branch to their gitlab fork of kicad. It can be found easily by following the "Fork" number link from the official kicad repo and won't get lost in a mailing list or something like that.

Merge requests are even easier to find. You can add "WIP:" to the name of a merge request - it means "work in progress" and prevents merging before you remove "WIP:" from the name, so you can work on your merge request and get feedback before it's ready to be merged. But I suppose a WIP merge request is recommended only for code which is actually expected to be actually merged later, not for all experiments.

Eeli Kaikkonen