From: Kicad-developers <kicad-developers-bounces+mrluzeiro=ua.pt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 23 January 2020 14:26
To: kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Kicad-developers] Using Master branch / Nightly builds for work on new projects - Is it safe?

Hi Mario,

Once the new schematic and symbol library file format changes are
implemented, going back to the 5.1 stable branch will not be possible.
Initially there will be a short period where both file formats will be
supported but that will be primarily for round robin testing to verify
all current features are implemented correctly.  I will make an
announcement once the current file formats are disable and the new file
formats are the default.  At that point turning back will be impossible.
 There are also some changes in the board file format that will prevent
them from being opened in 5.1.

Cheers,

Wayne