Re: Using Master branch / Nightly builds for work on new projects - Is it safe?

I think the following scenarios are entirely possible if you use the Master
branch from ~now until it reaches feature completeness for V6 release:

1) Files may be corrupted permanently (so you would need to restore them
from a backup or earlier version if you use a version control system)
2) File formats may change, and then change again in an incompatible way
(if we decide that the first change was the wrong way).  You may have to
roll back your design to before the first change in this case.
3) You may have to manually edit files in a text editor to work around bugs
that show up

Of course, none of those are planned/desired, but I also think it's
impossible for us to guarantee that they won't happen.

My advice would be if you want to use the master branch for actual work:

1) Store your designs and custom libraries in Git repositories
2) Make sure to save and commit any changes before each time you install a
new build
3) Keep a close eye on the mailing list and GitLab so that if there is some
problem that can result in data loss, maybe you can find out about it
before you install a new build.
4) If you are actually going to use the output of KiCad (for example, order
a board), check it extra carefully.

Best,
Jon