Re: Eeschema annotate block / specific component types proposal

Thanks Jeff - I'll take a look at a nightly to see where things are now.
Sounds like a much better selection strategy too!

Jean-Pierre - You're quite right to highlight these complications, which
I've been mulling over myself. I don't yet have proposed solutions, but I'm
going to give it a good think.

Your comments on multi-part units would I think, at least partially, be a
problem even now. For example, if I have one unit providing power on one
sheet, and another unit on a sheet that gets annotated alone, they could
become broken.

Thinking out loud, in cases where a unit is nested in a hierarchy, it would
make sense to keep the annotation of an already-annotated unit at a higher
level in the hierarchy (towards the root schematic), and to
forward-propagate the annotation to units at a lower level in the
hierarchy. I'll need to think about ways to handle when units in different
sheets are at at the same hierarchy level, or in different
hierarchical trees with no unit in a common root. That would arguably be
messy design, but it's a possibility so should be handled.

Of course, anything is an implementation decision, and users should neither
be surprised by what a feature does, or have things done that they don't
know about. I.e. there should be some warnings to the user if some form of
forward, back, or sideways propagation to units not in the currently
annotation scope (selection or sheet) are going to be updated. I presume
there is an algorithm already which tracks the annotation of multi-part
units (by counting sub-units remaining? Or...) - so I'll study that and see
what it does currently too.

Yours,
James.