Re: How do we envision Pad Stacks?

In Altium (and I suspect in other commercial tools) there are two
different types of pad behavior:  when creating/editing/viewing
footprints, and when working on the board.

When editing footprints, you only have the concept of top, middle, and
bottom layers.  You don't know the full board stackup. So, for a PTH
pad, you can set what you want to happen on *all* inner layers, and it
can be different from the top and bottom layers if you'd like. Altium
lets you have different shapes for each of these (maybe you want a
square pad on the top for identification purposes, but round on inner
layers).  Altium doesn't let you do this for SMD pads, I guess because
it doesn't make sense to pre-assign a SMD pad to a particular inner
layer in the footprint editor when you don't know on what board
stackup it will be used.

When you place a footprint or free pad on the board, you can edit that
pad in the context of the board.  This means things like moving a SMD
pad to a particular inner layer, or removing the pad from one or all
inner layers on a PTH pad.

There is a toggle for stackup mode in Altium:  Simple,
Top-Middle-Bottom, and Full Stack.  These give you one, three, or N
sets of pad size/shape options respectively, where N is your PCB
copper layer count.

Some SMD pads require different shapes for paste layers (I've never
seen mask be anything other than an offset, positive or negative, from
the copper shape)