Re: WYSISYG pad editor

Hi Jeff,

Did you have a chance to look at the draft document I sent on padstacks a
few days ago? I briefly explain how Altium and Cadstar handle pads and vias
in that document - hopefully it is helpful?

I'd like to point out that custom pad shapes are not actually well
supported in most other commercial EDAs, so what you are doing at KiCad is
definitely above and beyond! Great stuff!

The prototype shape editor that you are talking about: is this in pcbnew or
in the footprint editor? I suppose it would be valid to use this both for
editing vias in the PCB as well as pads in a footprint, in the library.
Maybe this could be done in the properties window of the pad/via where you
could have a basic drawing canvas to draw the shape of the pad/via (maybe
in the future you could even import a DXF or other similar format to define
the pad shape). Each shape could maybe be saved into a library that can be
re-used/selected.

I'd suggest that regardless of it being a "high contrast mode" or a
"properties" window: if you are creating custom shapes for a pad, you
should *only *be doing that: i.e. you are entering "pad editing mode" - you
don't want to be accidentally moving other things around while you are
doing that and certain certain things should be restricted while in this
"mode" - e.g.

   - if you "paste other stuff", you should look at what is being pasted
   and if it is a valid shape object, you could accept it, otherwise just
   don't do anything;
   - you should not allow to "delete the pad anchor" - only to move it
   - new objects on different layers - isn't the idea of this to be a
   padstack editor? If so, then assign those shapes to the specific layer.

I'm not sure I understand your second approach of exploding pads into
shapes? Seems to me like you might end up with a lot of random shapes that
don't get recombined if you forget to run the "recombine" command? Also I
can see that you'd end up joining up several pads together accidentally...
I'd suggest the "editing" mode should restrict editing to a single pad

Roberto (Qbort)