Re: WYSISYG pad editor

Hi Roberto,

I confess I haven’t looked at the padstack document yet.

The prototype WYSIWYG shape editor is currently only in the Footprint Editor, although I’ve made most of the code agnostic between that and the board editor.

I did look at doing it in the Pad Properties dialog, but that got nixed on account of many custom-shaped pads being related to each other (and therefore easier to edit en masse), and on that being the hardest place to integrate our tool framework (although I got far enough down that path that it’s now somewhat easier).

The trouble with the single-pad mode is that there’s a *lot* of editing code you do want to make available (copy/paste, duplicate, flip, rotate, move exactly, creating new shapes, deleting some existing shapes, etc.), and a *lot* that you want to exclude (pasting other shapes, pasting into other layers, switching layers, etc.).  That’s going to equate to a lot of code that has to be maintained.

Doing all pads at once gets around this, but it does indeed have the “might connect two pads” issue.  (Then again, it will only do that if their copper/mask/whatever is touching, so is that really an issue in practice?  Hmm… if someone is using a polygon to do a neck-down to a pad, and we allow recombine to run in Pcbnew, then we’re going to suck that polygon into the pad definition.  Maybe we do need to keep it Footprint Editor only.)

Cheers,
Jeff.