Evaluating cross-selection between the 3D-Viewer and Pcbnew

Hello all,

I'm evaluating how/ if it will be possible to implement some kind of cross footprint selection between the 3D-Viewer and Pcbnew.
I know that it works with Schematic and Board so I believe there are already some existent mechanisms.. but I don't know what exists in KiCad source-code for that.

Could someone point me where can I find relevant code that is already used or implemented for this purpose?

I have the following questions do clarify:
- Can I notify 3D-Viewer to update the render from pcbnew/eeschema?
- How can I flag/or select a footprint and notify pcbnew/eeschema?
- Does a footprint has a flag that says it is selected? or there is some other list of selected footprints?

Any other concerns or things that I should have a look?

Regards,
Mario Luzeiro

Follow ups