Re: KiCAD 5.99/6 Python API status & time schedule

Hi Folks-

Sorry for the slow response on this message.  The Python work is slower
than we had hoped for a few reasons.  Only partially pandemic related.

1) We need to move to Python3.  This is no longer optional because we use
an interface to wxWidgets that has moved to Python3.  While our scripts
have been generally compatible with Python2 and Python3, this is not as
straight-forward when packaging.  Our build systems have grown up around
Python2, so there is quite a bit that is baked into the systems.
Unfortunately, our Windows build system (msys2) was not packaging the new
requirements and wxPython (our python interface to the GUI) was only
building for MSVC.

We have now moved our nightly builds to MSVC to support this.

MacOS is taking a bit longer.  There are additional requirements on MacOS
due to the security restrictions that make it difficult to package KiCad in
the manner we have before.  When the security restrictions place the
application in quarantine, we cannot access the python application to run
our scripts.  There are solutions to this and we are working through them
now.

2) We try not to break nightly builds.  This means that some actions need
to be sequential.  Get the nightly builds running with Python 3 first, then
move the python interface.

The upshot is that we are almost there.  Once we get the signed MacOS
nightly builds out (this week?), we can move the Python interface over to
v3 and start finding bugs in the new API.

The reason we are not accepting bug reports on the old API is that this
needs to move and re-basing gets progressively more difficult the more
changes we introduce to the legacy API.  We have merged some changes where
these did not impact our work.

Regards-
Seth