Re: For those wondering about KiCad version 5.99.0 in Debian unstable...

Hello Jon,

Am 06.07.21 um 21:45 schrieb Jon Evans:
> Hi Carsten,
>
> I was reminded of this thread because of this forum post:
> https://forum.kicad.info/t/how-install-kicad-6-x-on-debian/30034/4
>
> Is the fact that there is a 6.0.0 tag on experimental also related to
> this issue with versioning?

yes.
But to be completely precise the tag isn't "6.0.0". It's
"6.0.0~20210702.eff75b6+dfsg1-1".

The important thing is the *tilde* sign that make this version less than
6.0.0.

My mistake has some side effects. The package manager is only looking at
versions, if a version of a package is greater than the installed
version than it can be installed.

To get current versions from the develop branch into experimental the
version needs to be higher than the version in unstable/testing.
Thus I decided to take the version schema 6.0.0~ to get the above
requirement fulfilled.

Debian Bulleseye is targeted to be released on 31th July.
Means after this date the current version in unstable (that is in fact
5.1.10) will go into testing and can afterwards get into backports.

--
Regards
Carsten