Re: Warning about potentially malicious software

And Kicad.info

On 10/19/21 4:44 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
Wouldn't be appropriate to add the post as this to the blog on kicad.org <http://kicad.org> as well?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 at 22:30, Seth Hillbrand <seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Folks-

    As you know, the original KiCad domain name (kicad-pcb.org
    <http://kicad-pcb.org>) was recently sold.  This happened without
    notification to the KiCad Project or members of the KiCad
    Development Team. This sale was unexpected and may pose a risk to
    KiCad users. The new owners may simply post advertisements or
    (worst-case scenario) they may host malicious versions of the
    KiCad software for download.

    # How did this happen?

    The domain name was originally registered in 2012 by the then
    project lead Dick Hollenbeck. As KiCad did not have a formal
    entity at the time, he registered it in his own name through his
    company SoftPLC. When the KiCad Project formally became registered
    under the Linux Foundation, we attempted to secure the rights to
    the original domain name from Dick without success.

    In the meantime, Digikey Corporation purchased the kicad.org
    <http://kicad.org> domain name from squatters and donated it to
    the KiCad Project.  This is now our current domain name.

    # What is the KiCad Project doing now to protect its users?

    We are removing all links to the old domain name in the software
    for version 5.1.11 as well as 6.0. We are also contacting various
    sites that host content related to KiCad to update their links.

    # What can I do?

    Please do not contact Dick about this. He cannot undo the damage
    at this point.

    If you host KiCad videos on YouTube or content on a blog that has
    links to kicad-pcb.org <http://kicad-pcb.org>, please update them
    to kicad.org <http://kicad.org> as soon as possible. This will
    decrease the visibility of the old domain-name and limit the
    damage. You can also contact tech sites that post reviews of KiCad
    or otherwise have links to the old site and ask them to update
    their links.

    When installing KiCad, please always verify the installation
    signature. Starting with KiCad version 5.99, all installs are
    signed by KiCad Services Corporation.

    # What is KiCad doing to prevent this in the future?

    The current kicad.org <http://kicad.org> domain name is not under
    control of a single person. We have built in safeguards to our
    transfer process. Additionally, all KiCad trademarks are
    registered to the Linux Foundation for the sole purpose of
    advancing open-source EDA software.

    We regret that this was done to the KiCad project and its users.

-- KiCad Services Corporation Logo
    Seth Hillbrand
    *Lead Developer*
    +1-530-302-5483‬