Re: Conan Package Manager replacing copied third party sources

I would be against moving our bundled third-party dependencies to conan
because then it adds a configure-time need for an internet connection to
download them as packages (unless we add additional logic to allow building
using a local copy, but that will increase the complexity of our build
scripts more, which seems antithetical to the purpose of the change.).
Additionally, this change would be harmful to our linux packagers, because
almost all official packages must build with no internet access during the
configure/build stages.

I also don't see any developer gain in this idea. Our current build system
for the third-party directory just requires a single CMakeLists.txt file
that defines a library target inside the appropriate third-party
subdirectory, so there is no need to use any find_package() calls or any
other CMake methods to add those packages.

-Ian