kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Call for the translation for 4.0.5

Hi,

I think 4.0.5 translation works are done.
Thanks for your cooperation.

This time 4.0.5 traslation of docs, it was kind of a experiment for
translation project, for me.

- reveal the announcement by this ML and GitHub issue topic
- set the due date
- call for translators, and ask them to declare their target language

After this 4.0.5 translation period, I have some impressions.

- barrier before the translation

  This is my reflection point.
  There are several barrier before starting translation work.
  selecting branch, updating .po file and git operations.
  I should remove these barriers before starting translation announcement.
  I think GUI i18n translation also has same kind of barrier.

- situations of translators and translations are different each other

  Some translators are still working on, but some translators are gone.
  Some translations are maintained well, some translations are not.
  Keeping the well-translated-state and motivation are important.

- travis-ci helps verifying pull-request on GitHub

  This was a good point.
  Almost translators do not have the build environment, and they could not
  tell if their work break the build or not.
  Now, pull-request on 4.0 branch is checked by Travis-ci automated build.

- more period required, 5 days are too short

  Every work requires more days and period than it has.
  If it was 20 days, I would say "20 days are too short" :-)
  If we were told the due date before, translators could adjust their schedules.

Best regards,

Kinichiro