kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Documentation workflow with stable and development branch

Hi at all,

as a new Member in the Documentation Team i have read this discussion and want to say my opinion about the Workflow with a stable and a developer branch.

1) It makes sense to have a developer Branch (master) and an stable.

My suggestion is that the stable documentation contains the suitable Screenshots and the Documentation for the Features which are build in for the major Releases like 5.0 or 5.1

2) The Developer branch is for the Versions like 5.1.1 5.1.2 .... in this branch the Developer of the Functions must contain a lowlevel description how the function work and a screenshot which we can take and bring it to the stable branch. This makes writing the documentation easier because we still have the pictures an must not extra make them.

3) Before we can do the two point above we must do a cut and clear the old issues and see which are still to do and which not. For example the oldest issue (https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc/-/issues/154) is four years old, so for me as a younger member i don't know what to do with this.

Can we took an Version for example 5.2 or 5.3 in which we have a tidy up Issue list and the documentation has Screenshots which are suitable for the Version?

The Last Point i want to discuss is, can we make a little Video tutorial where a new Person can easily see what to do when he want to begin writting the docs.

Mathias