kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Translations Locations

There is another technical problem that putting the translations into the
main repo can help solve - it will allow for easy internationalization of
our Linux and macOS metadata files. The way those files are setup requires
that the file be used when actually generating the resulting translated
string files (or in the case of the linux metadata files - the translated
strings are placed directly inside the same metadata file). Having the
translations po files in the main repo will allow for a very seamless
integration of these metadata files into our translation system - so then
translators can translate their fields without having to modify all the
files individually. With the translations split into a separate repo, this
becomes more difficult to implement in CMake because we have to teach the
code where it can find the po files to generate the installable metadata
files.

-Ian