Re: Hi all

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Paweł Dras <pawel.dras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 22.05.2014 10:03, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 09:49:38AM +0200, Paweł Dras wrote:
>>
>>> - Make a rule  for module creation that footprint outlines can't be made
>>> on
>>>
>> Side note: pcbnew can erase the solder mask from the pads, that's not an
>> issue at all.
>>
> I know that it is possible, but then it looks ugly, for me and my
> employer's, the solder mask quality is almost as important as proper
> routing.
>
>  The newer recommended shape for silk outlines anyways is not over the
>> pad (but along them, on the side)
>>
>>  I suggest to add this information to KiCad_Library_Convention.txt in
> github repo.

Yes, I had noted it already.

> I think it would also be a good idea to create in this repo document, with
> informationhow to contribute in library creation. It is fatiguing to read
> all old mails on this list, to find information how to commit something
> new. These things are not obvious to the people who deal only and
> exclusively with electronic systems design. Even I feel here a bit lost.

I think more along the lines of another file named How_To_Contribute.txt.

> The list of threads, that should be read can be content of this document.
> For example this thread:
> https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg13066.html
> is very important but it is not part of this mailing list .
>
> And now is time to ask very important question: How can I help?
> Beyond the knowledge on electronics and PCB designing, I have some skills
> in programming, among others in C and C++. Now, due to scripting
> possibility in KiCad I'm trying to get familiar with python.

We can start some more serious cleaning in the footprint libraries, now
that our convention is ready. I will write a to-do list for everyone who
want to contribute. Stay tuned, it's going to be in the following days. :)