Re: Cleannig Footprint Libraries

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Bernd Wiebus <bernd.wiebus@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > With our recent library convention, we can start cleaning the
> > footprint libraries. Here is a list of all footprint libraries:
>

> >      1. Air_Coils_SML_NEOSID.pretty
>
> There are a lot more Coils/Inductors from Neosid (just a firm).
>
> Going from general to special, it would be a tree starting with perhaps
> two branches, SMD and THT.
> Then active/passive branches then resistor/inductor/capacitor brances,
> in inductor branch perhaps two branches: cylindrical and toroidal, in
> there more specific: Radial, axial, next step Air Coils, ferrite coils,
> iron coils ans so on.
> But on the other hand, you could make the branches very differend.
> Starting again with SMD/THT to Inductors, you could go further on with:
> HF-Types, NF-Types, Main Power Types.....
>
> First starting using only one word instead of Choke, Coil or Inductor.
> Let it all be an inductor. ;O)
>
> Then that would be "Inductors_SMD/THT_NEOSID" ?

> Another point are current compensated coils, which are also transformers
> in a special way of sight....
>

> >      1. Buzzers_Beepers.pretty
> >      2. Capacitors_Elko_ThroughHole.pretty
> >      3. Capacitors_SMD.pretty
> >      4. Capacitors_Tantalum_SMD.pretty
> >      5. Capacitors_ThroughHole.pretty
>
> Elko is german short for "electrolytic capacitor". But you could put
> them together with Tantalum capacitors to "capacitor polarizised".

Its content can simply be merged with Capacitors_ThroughHole.pretty,
actually.

> >      1. Choke_Axial_ThroughHole.pretty
> >      2. Choke_Common-Mode_Wurth.pretty
> >      3. Choke_Radial_ThroughHole.pretty
> >      4. Choke_SMD.pretty
> >      5. Choke_Toroid_ThroughHole.pretty
>
> See above about Inductors.
>
> >      1. Connectors_Serial_MOLEX.pretty
> >      2. Connect.pretty
>
> Going from general to special, it would be a bad idea to make a branch
> "serial", because if you use a connector vor a special way, like 9 pin
> Sub-D for serial, there might be some other people who do not use them
> that way.
> This is even true for USB, because USB is not only used as a serial
> connection, but also for powering only. There are alectrical torches
> with USB sockets for charging the accumulator, as an example.
>
> So perhaps:
> connector (or socket) > Type (a standard like Sub-D, or
> DIN41612/IEC41612, USB-Types, BNC or something) and brand spezific like
> the WAGO Types. But here is a problem, because you will get RCA sockets
> from many other brands and not only RCA.
>
> Fixed, as I removed the serial part.

> But there should be only one word for a connector. Not different like
> connector, socket, jack. I would prefere socket, but this is only my
> personal preference.

This is a good idea. I would use connector and include for example the pin
headers too.

> >      1. Converters_DCDC_ACDC.pretty
> >      2. Crystals_Oscillators_SMD.pretty
> >      3. Crystals.pretty
>
> Crystals are usable as part of a filter, sensor or oscillator and mostly
> passive. But Oscillators are only oscillators and active. But they could
> diveded further on in CrystalOscillators, PLL/DSP-Oscillators, fixed
> oscillators, tuned oscillators. But there are not many, so perhaps it
> would be useful, to put THT and SMD into one library?

If it yields a small library, then yes.

> >      1. Diodes_SMD.pretty
> >      2. Diodes_ThroughHole.pretty
> >      3. Discret.pretty
> >      4. Display.pretty
> >      5. Displays_7-Segment.pretty
>
> Display_7-Segment is more spezific than Display. If it is a 7-Segment
> LED, it might also fit to Opto or Diode. But LCD-7-Segment sure not.

I suggest we make it Displays_Character.pretty, and we renamed
Display.pretty as Displays_Graphic.pretty.

> >      1. Divers.pretty
> >      2. EuroBoard_Outline.pretty
> >      3. Fiducials.pretty
>
> Perhaps you could subsummize fiducials to odditys? But i would prefere a
> library Fiducials.pretty. It could contain SMD and THT types. There are
> not many fiducials at all.

Yeah let's leave it that way.

> >      1. Filters_HF_Coils_NEOSID.pretty
>
> See above about Inductors. But complete filters should have there own
> library.
>
> >      1. Footprint_Symbols.pretty
>
> What about removing the word "Footprint" or better name it
> "SymbolsAsFootprints"? This are just non electrical symbols you
> sometimes want at a board.

True, I'll rename it to Symbols.pretty.

> >      1. Fuse_Holders_and_Fuses.pretty
>
> Make a decision whree you want pin 1. Because some are not symmetrical,
> and there would be an advantage if you discriminate between input and
> output.

We can apply 6.2 of the convention.

> >      1. Hall-Effect_Transducers_LEM.pretty
>
> Hall-Effekt devices should have there own library, together with the
> Allegro devices, which are in PFF_PSF_PSS_Leadforms.pretty

Yes, let's merge them in one library called Hall-Effect_Sensors.pretty

> >      1. Heatsinks.pretty
> >      2. Housings_ROHM.pretty
>
> Might be, ROHM housings are common with some IPC/JEDEC
> specifications....might be double.

Are there any housings specific to ROHM ?

> >      1. Housings_SIP9.pretty
>
> But not only 9.....;O)

Yes we will want to put all of them in there. I'll remove the 9.

> >      1. Housings_SOT-23_SOT-143_TSOT-6.pretty
> >      2. Housings_SOT-89.pretty
> >      3. Housings_SOT.pretty
> >      4. Housings_TO-50.pretty
> >      5. Housings_TO-78.pretty
> >      6. Housings_TO-92.pretty
>
> TO-92 Should be strongly revised. There are too many almost similar
> footprints with only permutations in the naming of the pads. ;O)
> I have to apologize, but it wath my first attempt to make a kicad
> library. And i was just thinking too "Eaglish" at this time. ;O)

It looks like we will settle down to a single footprint, and have the
permutations handled in the symbol library, so yes a cleaning will be
required.

> >      1. Inductors_NEOSID.pretty
> >      2. Inductors.pretty
>
> See above about Inductors.
> >      1. IR-DirectFETs.pretty
>
> Very special....
>
> >      1. Labels.pretty
>
> Uuups, i recognice that there are labels not for electronic only, which
> i made for myself. I did not realise, that i uploaded them at all. But
> if someone loke them, why not?
>
> >      1. LEDs.pretty
>
> All types of LED? 7-segment? What about fork-light-gates?
> What about subsumising to Opto Devices? Ok, i think, it is better to
> have a extra library with LED, too.

I think so too!

> >      1. Measurement_Points.pretty
> >      2. Measurement_Scales.pretty
>
> Same thinking about like for fiducials. Up to now, i only used the
> Measurement_Scales as controll scales for pdf previews. So you can
> check, wether your printing is distorted or not.
>
> >      1. Mechanical_Sockets.pretty
>
> A folder for mechanical only things, not only for sockets? Card guides
> as an example....But than the DIN41612/IEC41612 should have a special
> library.
>
> Why a special library?

> >      1. Mounting_Holes.pretty
>
> I made this library before Kicad got an option for mounting holes. So
> there might no longer use for this library.

Option for mounting holes? I don't know about it. Where is it?

> >      1. Muonde.pretty
> >      2. NF-Transformers_ETAL.pretty
> >      3. Oddities.pretty
>
> Just for Net-ties and other odd stuff. ;O)
>
> >      1. Opto-Devices.pretty
>
> Think about, what i wrote about LEDs.
>
> >      1. Oscillator-Modules.pretty
> >      2. Oscillators.pretty
>
> Think about, what i wrote about LEDs.
>
> >      1. Pentawatts.pretty
>
> Pentawatt is TO-220-5. So might be possible to subsumize them to TO-220?
> But i would prefere a special library. But then it should renamed to
> TO-220-5.pretty or perhaps TO-220-5_Pentawatt.pretty. Because some
> people recognize them better as "Pentawatt" than "TO-220-5". ;O)

Let's put them in a library called "Housings_TO-220", with the footprints
from Transistors_TO-220.pretty as well. Some cleaning will be needed in the
latter too.

> >      1. PFF_PSF_PSS_Leadforms.pretty
>
> All Hall-Effect Transducers. Think about, what i wrote about the LEM
> Hall-Effect Transducers.
>
> >      1. Pin_Arrays.pretty
> >      2. Pin_Headers.pretty
> >      3. Potentiometers.pretty
> >      4. Power_Integrations.pretty
> >      5. Printtrafo_CHK.pretty
> >      6. QFP.pretty
>
> What about "Housings_QFP.pretty"?

Yes. Will rename.

> >      1. Relays_ThroughHole.pretty
> >      2. Resistors_SMD.pretty
> >      3. Resistors_ThroughHole.pretty
> >      4. Resistors_Universal.pretty
>
> Mmmmh. I think, the name of the library should show the dual use SMD/THT
> of the footprints. What about "Resistors_Universal-SMD-THT.pretty"?

Sounds good to me, but we'll wait to see if anyone objects.

> >      1. SMD_Packages.pretty
> >      2. Sockets_BNC.pretty
> >      3. Sockets_DIP.pretty
> >      4. Sockets_Mini-Universal.pretty
>
> Going from general to special, this where once brand specific sockets
> (Tyco?). Now they are known as Mate-N-Lok sockets, which are more
> specificated to mini. So i would prefere Sockets_Mate-N-Lok.pretty or
> even Sockets_Mate-N-Lok_Mini.pretty
>
> Are they still brand specific?

> >      1. Sockets_MOLEX_KK-System.pretty
> >      2. Sockets_PGA.pretty
> >      3. Sockets.pretty
> >      4. Socket_Strips.pretty
> >      5. Sockets_WAGO734.pretty
> >      6. SOIC_Packages.pretty
>
> What about "Housings_SOIC.pretty"?

Yes.

> >      1. SSOP_Packages.pretty
>
> What about "Housings_SSOP.pretty"?

Yes.

> >      1. Terminal_Blocks.pretty
>
> This Terminal blocks are WAGO 236 Type. So i would suggest the name
> TerminalBlock_WAGO236.pretty. This are spring loaded terminal blocks and
> not sockets.

We will want to put other terminal blocks in there, not only WAGO-236.
Let's leave it that way.

> >      1. Transformers_SMPS_ThroughHole.pretty
> >      2. Transistors_OldSowjetAera.pretty
> >      3. Transistors_SMD.pretty
> >      4. Transistors_TO-220.pretty
>
> Remove the transistors, because there are Diodes with TO-220 housings,
> too. But then remove this Diode TO-220 footprints from the diode library
> and put them into Housings_TO-220.pretty, too.

My thoughts exactly, see previous comment about Housings_TO-220.pretty.

> >      1. Transistors_TO-247.pretty
>
> Same like with TO-220
>
> >      1. Valves.pretty
> >      2. Wire_Connections_Bridges.pretty
> >      3. Wire_Pads.pretty
>

> > For those of you who have expressed their interest to give a hand,
> > please voice in, saying which library you would like to tackle.
> > Basically, you have to ensure the library respects the convention on
> > all fronts. Some explanations on the procedure to follow have been
> > placed here. Basically, it's the fork & pull request git workflow. If
> > any questions arise, please ask.
>
> I would like to keep me back a while, because i started a new job and
> have much to do. But for first, i would like to have good strukturated
> library conventions, which is written down offically somewhere.
>
> There should also some rules for pdf previews, mesh models and boards,
> because there is a (not so bad) way to distribute footprints with
> boards, which can used for pdf footprints, too.
> If you looked about the librarys, you will have noticed my pdf previews,
> and there should be some rules for them, too. (like having always a
> scale for checking printer distorsion, hints about CC or
> I have them written down last year or so, and i will search for them and
> give them to you. They are incomplete, but might help you save some
> time.

Good, I'll wait to hear back from you on that matter.

> At last, here is one library left over at my harddisc, and i wonder,
> wether it is not at your list:
> "TO-12_TO-18_TO-43_TO-42_Housings_11Jun2013.mod". There are also mesh
> models for TO18, too. I will rename and transfer it to
> "Housings_TO-12_TO-18_TO-43_TO-42.pretty". ;O)
>
> With best regards: Bernd Wiebus alias dl1eic

Took care of the renaming.

Also, footprints from SMD_Packages should all be put in the more specific
libraries. Then we will delete that one. It's big and takes a significant
amount of time to load anyway.

Your input is really appreciated. Thanks a bunch,

Carl Poirier