Re: Adhesive for SMD components

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 02:10:39PM -0400, Carl Poirier wrote:
> I want to avoid exceptions as much as possible. Thus, I suggest we put all
> LGA, CGA and BGA at 0.5. Is QFN also at 0.15?

Is not an exception thing, it is the rule which is 'proportional', like
annulus size for THT... and also slightly changes with every 7351 revision.

In B revision (the current published one) the 0.15 applies to chips
smaller than 0603, SODFL and SOTFL, BGA have 1 mm, aluminum cap (and
crystal cans) have 0.5; everything else uses 0.25

The newer unpublished C revision (which is the one implemented by all
the current calculators) instead changes *all* the chips, DFN and QFN
(all the 'no-leads' in practice, with or without pullback) to 0.15 and
add the progressive scaling (not all the calculator do this) from 1 to
0.5 mm (0.5 for balls up to 0.5mm, 0.25 for balls up to 0.3mm). CGA have
bigger allowance (who uses CGA anyway?:P) The official (more or less
since it's unpublished anyway!) nominal courtyard excess for BGA however
is still 0.5.

However the default for C revision (seems that it will be merged into
the new CM-770) goes from nominal to least... so the 'new defaults'
will be more for people building cellphones than industrial equipment.
Also they change many roundings from 0.05 mm to 0.01 mm.

For manufacturing yield I still prefer the old B revision tables,
nominal sizes and 0.05 mm rounding. I don't know how is the default
library in kicad parametrized (i.e. how did you calculate the pad sizes?
which clearance and process tolerances?) but for general purpose non-HDI
boards (usually 0.2 or 0.15 clearance) it's easier to use. I'd say that
when you consistently place 0402 parts with 0.1 clearance the least
spacing could be considered. I usually do most of the work with 0.2
clearance (0.15 costs more :D). When you have to fan out modern BGAs however
it's usually mandatory the 0.1 clearance (except when you have *really*
a lot of pins to the power plane and you can fan out the remainder on
the signal layer).

Of course when *you* have to replace the component when necessary it's
wise to leave a bit more of space :P when you do a cellphone who cares,
it's mostly a throw-away board (maybe the gods of reworking can touch
these)

By the way, current default parametrization for the IPC calculators is
0.15 clearance (0.2 against thermal slug); rounding is quite
complicated, depending on what you are rounding it goes from 0.01mm to
0.1mm.

Also take care that this is only the 'excess courtyard'; the full
courtyard depends on manufacturing process parameters, mainly placement
tolerance (usually ±0.1mm but some processes also use ±0.2 or ±0.05...).
The rule of thumb is to place components so that the courtyards don't
"touch", i.e. with at least 0.05mm between courtyard lines.

As usual you give the gerbers to the fabricator and he tells you what
has to be changed; last week I had to move stuff from the border due to
the width of the depanelizer blade :P also ceramics near the edges are
prone to cracking and many other things that can't be standardized
anyway.

PS: you don't gain a lot having a smaller courtyard on QFNs... while the
package is smaller and there are no leads, usually there is a thermal
slug so you have to fan out on the outside! QFPs instead can fan out
(and have routes) even under the body...

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl