Octopart common parts list library

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to point people to this thread about KiCad symbols and
footprints for the Octopart common parts library. I'm not sure if any of
you have seen this since it popped up a month or two ago, but I'll try to
summarize it quickly.

Octopart wants to curate a list of parts that will make it easier for
people developing "internet of things" type devices. So basically people
are supposed to use these parts and assembly houses will stock tons of them
and all of the major PCB EDA programs will have a symbol and footprint
library for all of them. Should make it nice and easy to design with!

Here is the thread they created for the KiCad library:
https://groups.google.com/a/octopart.com/forum/#!topic/common-parts-library-community/zsVVG_VBpeY

The head guy from octopart created a new github repo for this. I was
thinking it would be really awesome if instead this could all be integrated
in to the default KiCad library so people don't even need to download an
extra lib!

Carl, do you want to try and communicate with them to try and work
something out?

Thanks!
Jon Neal

Follow ups