Re: Inductors and Chokes

Le 16/01/2017 à 19:53, Jan Krieger a écrit :
> Am 16.01.2017 um 19:05 schrieb jp charras:
>  one other thing. KiCAD stores a copy of the footprint in the .kicad_pcb-file ... so even if the lib
> does not exist any longer, old projects should not be broken! Or do I missunderstand something there?
>
> Best,
> JAN

The board is not broken: it can be opened, but the project is broken.
The project stores and uses footprint library names.

If they do not exist, Cvpcb and the footprint editor do not work anymore.
If you want to modify a footprint, you cannot.

For me, using the Github libraries as primary source is a bad practice.
Users should use a local copy for the daily work.
And use Github only as source of new libraries.
This a really a basic way of work, used by all corporate users.

Unfortunately, many users do not even configure Kicad.
They just use Kicad as this, from the installer, without any configuration.
They footprint library wizard, by default, make a local copy.
But if the user does not use it, there is no local copy.

This a really a stupid way of work, but we have to live with that.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS