Re: Simon Quigley

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 5:55 AM, Philip Muskovac <yofel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Simon was aware of this, as several weeks previously when Simon was keen
>>> to stage 5.29, this was pointed out to him.
>>>
>>> Also it is clear that as there were no appropriate commits regarding
>>> package lists and dependencies to kubuntu automation,  the workflow in
>>> KA readme was ignored.
>>>
>>> While I like Simon immensely, this series of incidents in my mind calls
>>> into question the appropriateness of Simon's ongoing git an ppa push
>>> access. Especially after incident (2) where he reassured us that there
>>> would be no such repeat and that he would act responsibly.
>>>
>>> Rik
>>
>> After extensive discussion in #kubuntu-council (public channel, join
>> us!) we've concluded that
>>
>> 1. Ninja status for Simon will be withdrawn until he meets with the
>> Kubuntu Devels and satisfies them that permission should be restored;
>> and
>>
>> 2. That we need a change in Kubuntu Policy about the git permissions
>> granted to all Kubuntu Members.
>>
>> Therefore, I move and place before the Kubuntu Council the following:
>>
>> I move to amend the Kubuntu Policies
>> (https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/Policies) by changing
>>
>> "Members, while not having any upload or bug control permissions, are
>> meant to be trustworthy and act in the best interest of the project.
>> ~kubuntu-members consequently also are members of all other Kubuntu
>> teams that do not have additional requirements other than trust."
>>
>> to "Members, while not having any git or bug control permissions, are
>> meant to be trustworthy and act in the best interest of the project.
>> ~kubuntu-members consequently also are members of all other Kubuntu
>> teams that do not have additional requirements other than trust."
>>
>> Once we change the policy, we can remove
>>
>> In addition, I believe that we should evaluate which of the
>> memberships that https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-members reports are
>> relevant and should stay:
>>
>> “Kubuntu Members” is a member of these teams:
>> KDevelop
>> Kubuntu CI
>> Tomahawk
>> Kubuntu Users
>> Kubuntu Bugs
>> Kubuntu Members - KDE 4 Repository
>> Planet Ubuntu
>> Ubuntu Members
>> Kubuntu Packagers
>> Users of the Ubuntu Etherpad instance
>>
>> Given that not all Kubuntu Members are packagers, perhaps some of
>> these should be revoked? Specifically: KDevelop, Kubuntu CI, Tomahawk,
>> Kubuntu Members - KDE 4 Repository and Kubuntu Packagers.
>>
>> Let's thrash this out here before making the changes and announcing
>> them on Kubuntu-devel.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Valorie
>>

> Hi.
>
> As for 1) I'm in consent with Clive regarding removing ninja status. Forget
> staging, after these incidents I don't feel well about him having access to

Done. It hurt to de-activate Simon. This has been really painful.

> 2)
> IMO the 'upload' part can stay, maybe make that 'commit, upload ...' as we
> still use bzr in rare cases.

Done.

> Section 7.5 needs 'kubuntu-members' removed from it.
> I would suggest adding new sections for ~kubuntu-ci and ~kubuntu-ci-admins
> which were not in our control back when the policy was last updated.

Done, both on LP and in the Policy doc.

> ~kubuntu-ci to document that members do not have access to it for packaging
> reasons and that it's locked down to ~kubuntu-ninjas (as only people with
> git permissions need access to the CI)
>
> ~kubuntu-ci-admins are members of ~kubuntu-ninjas that are willing to help
> with developing the CI tooling and server administration. Permission levels
> are:
> - regular members have access to the jenkins website and can edit and update
> jobs.
> - team administrators can add new people to the team and have SSH access to
> the servers.
>
> As for the other teams, some of that is historic:
> - tomahawk was created by me and harald and he later added members to it to
> make contributing easer. While not being a KDE project, they have always
> been at akademy and were affiliated with KDE. I now re-owned the team to
> muesli though as I'm not really contributing to it anymore.
> - kdevelop was created by me and Matthias Kolberg back at DS 2010 when we
> were trying to set up dailies for kdevelop, which today is done by the CI.
> Later on it was re-owned to the KC because it was a team created by us and
> nobody else wanted to own it.
>
> I would propose to first get the permission changes regarding -packagers and
> -ci out of the way. To change the membership status of other teams, we might
> have to reword "~kubuntu-members consequently also are members of all other
> Kubuntu teams that do not have additional requirements other than trust."
> first.

IMO, those other teams DO have addition requirements other than trust
-- technical skill and expertise. So I see no reason to change that
statement.

> Now my summary regarding the teams:
> - kdevelop: can go, but needs a new owner first

KC owns that, so ~kubuntu-members do not need to be members of it. Done.

> - kubuntu CI: should go, see above

Done.

> - tomahawk: can go, was never really a kubuntu team, just kind of run by us
> in the beginning
> - kubuntu users: badge collection team, does it really matter?

No, doesn't matter.

> - kubuntu bugs: not sure what the membership even does as mails are only
> sent to direct members AFAIR
> - KDE4: the whole team can be deleted

Done.

> - planet: needed for blog updates
> - ubuntu members: required by definition
> - kubuntu packagers: should go, see above
> - etherpad: can stay as long as it's used
>
> actually, isn't planet and etherpad indirect through ubuntu-members?

It is: “Ubuntu Members” is a member of these teams:

Planet Ubuntu
Users of the Ubuntu Etherpad instance

But since this is not a security concern, I've left it alone.

> Philip

Thanks for the clarifications, Philip.

I think this is all done now. Removing Simon from Ninjas and CI-gods hurt.

This has been painful, but improving security is worth the pain.

Valorie