Re: My Future With Kubuntu

Thank you for that Simon.

I won't go into detailed in-line comments on the whys and wherefores, as
you seem quite self aware of what happened and why, even if admittedly
you seem to have ongoing issues controlling such actions, when in even
immediate hindsight they are regrettable.

Apology is accepted for my part.

The 3 tasks you mention sound like a great way to contribute for the
shortish term. More details can be fleshed out on those, and things
added or amended as we go.

Like Valorie said in her reply, we should just see how it goes and any
formal schedule or dates may not be appropriate. However, in my mind
there is some significant trust to be earned back, both personally and
in terms of technical permissions, so that could be some weeks rather
than days.

I will just add that I am very keen to have you back a full capacity, as
your ability and enthusiasm are a great bonus to kubuntu. This just
needs to be directed on your part with more control and thought.

Regards,

Rik

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 03:09 AM, Simon Quigley <tsimonq2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kubuntu Council,
>
> I would like to start by apologizing. I would like to apologize not
only for
> not being here for the past couple of weeks, but for my conduct the day
> before leaving. In this email, I would like to explain what I did, why
I did
> it, what I think of my actions now, and what I would like to do going
> forward.
>
> Here’s what I did. I staged KDE Frameworks 5.30 after being told not to
> (while not explicitly, if I recall correctly). The day that I left, I
wanted
> to give them a “going away surprise” (this is what I labeled it as). I
> wanted to start the initial staging process of getting Frameworks 5.29
> prepared a few weeks before that, but we had hit some issues getting
> Frameworks 5.28 in the archive so we decided to wait. I was frustrated
that
> Rik had staged Plasma 5.8.5 without saying anything in #kubuntu-devel.
So my
> reasoning for this was half assuming it would give me someone to point at
> when people realized this and half assuming it would fix some issues that
> Frameworks 5.28 had.
>
> Let me just say this with bold and underline: _*THIS WAS NOT RIGHT.
THIS WAS
> [...]
when I
> want to go to the channel and do something, I have to remember my stupid
> mistake and go through others to complete tasks, which reminds them of it
> to. That really hurts, but I have to suck it up and deal with it, just
like
> every time I’ve done it before.
>
> All I can do now is ask for forgiveness. I am really really sorry. I
> apologize to Rik for having to clean up the mess I made, and I
apologize to
> the Council for having to make this decision. But I would like to move
> forward from this, and hopefully be able to start anew. I hope to be
able to
> prevent this from ever happening again by getting better sleep and getting
> offline earlier in the evening. I will try my best to ensure that my bad
> late-night judgement doesn’t get the best of me when working with Kubuntu
> for a long time.
>
> Moving forward from this, I would like to propose a short-term plan as to
> what I do in Kubuntu from this point on until my ninja access is
restored. I
> would like to work on the following projects, using pull requests/merge
> proposals when necessary:
>
>  1. Get some solid development documentation. Something Valorie could
follow
> and understand (:P). This includes complete documentation describing
how to
> use KCI (I’ll need people to get me screenshots as I don’t have access
to do
> anything but read-only tasks…), development tools, our workflow, and any
> other relevant documentation.
>  2. Reorganize kubuntu-automation so we know exactly what does what and we
> have some solid documentation as to how to use everything. I would also
> finish writing unit tests and any other automated testing we could use to
> ensure that everything always Just Works.
>  3. Figure out what in the KCI code does what, either rewrite the majority
> of it in a more efficient and readable language or get some solid
> documentation for what code does what and documentation on
contributing and
> editing code. After I do this, I want to make sure once and for all
that we
> have kubuntu_stable branches working and buildable images (maybe even
> autopkgtests to ensure that nothing breaks when we upload it to the
> archive). One more thing for this item, we need to find a way to leave
notes
> on each one of the jobs and/or ignore it in KCI to finally get ALL of the
> jobs working or bugs reported to get them working.
>
> Those are three elephants in the room that I really think we need to get
> going to make the most use out of our tools. This will really help us
in the
> long run if this is documented very well.
>
> Again, I apologize. I realize what I did was a terrible decision, but
I look