Re: RFC: Code quick-start guide

2009/8/5 Matthew Revell <matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi guys,
>
> In the past, we've discussed a code hosting quick-start guide, which
> has arisen from several requests for a simple guide to what someone
> needs to do to get their project's code onto Launchpad and ready to
> work with.
>
> I've written the following:
>
> https://help.launchpad.net/Code/QuickStart/Draft

Nice one.

I think it can be live now and you should mention it and ask for
comments on the blog.

Visually, it would be clearer if there was more indenting so that the
major and minor steps stood out to the left.  That may be too hard in
the wiki.

I think you need a small amount of introductory context information:
Launchpad hosts Bazaar branches to hold source code; branches should
normally be associated with a project which you should register if it
is not already up there; non-open projects are welcome but need to do
X; if you just want to try things out use staging.  Not so much stuff
that it dominates the page but enough that people know whether they're
looking at the right thing.

The screenshots, to me, look too much like real controls because
they're in the same theme.  If you for example shrink them a bit it
might make it more clear.

The tip re junk branches is a distraction, not a tip.

In branch-name you might mention doing a branch per bug and putting
the bug number in the branch name.

You might need to distinguish documents for "I want to start hosting
code for a new project on Launchpad" and "I want to make my first
branch of an existing project."

I agree re deferring discussion of series.

For next steps, maybe specific links for each next path would be good.

At the bottom of the page I would invite people to ask questions or
give feedback through Answers or by posting to a list.