Re: RFC: Code quick-start guide

2009/8/5 Martin Pool <martin.pool@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I've written the following:
>>
>> https://help.launchpad.net/Code/QuickStart/Draft
>
> Nice one.
>
> I think it can be live now and you should mention it and ask for
> comments on the blog.

Cool, I've made it live and have blogged asking for feedback.

> Visually, it would be clearer if there was more indenting so that the
> major and minor steps stood out to the left.  That may be too hard in
> the wiki.

Do you have an example? I'm not sure I can visualise that.

> I think you need a small amount of introductory context information:
> Launchpad hosts Bazaar branches to hold source code; branches should
> normally be associated with a project which you should register if it
> is not already up there; non-open projects are welcome but need to do
> X; if you just want to try things out use staging.  Not so much stuff
> that it dominates the page but enough that people know whether they're
> looking at the right thing.

Great idea, thanks. Done.

> The screenshots, to me, look too much like real controls because
> they're in the same theme.  If you for example shrink them a bit it
> might make it more clear.

Do the frames on the screen shots not help? If not, I'll shrink the
the screen shots a tad, as you suggested.

> The tip re junk branches is a distraction, not a tip.

Thanks. It's gone.

> In branch-name you might mention doing a branch per bug and putting
> the bug number in the branch name.

I'll add that, thanks.

> You might need to distinguish documents for "I want to start hosting
> code for a new project on Launchpad" and "I want to make my first
> branch of an existing project."
>
> I agree re deferring discussion of series.
>
> For next steps, maybe specific links for each next path would be good.
>
> At the bottom of the page I would invite people to ask questions or
> give feedback through Answers or by posting to a list.

Thanks, I'll make these changes.

--
Matthew Revell - Launchpad.net - free software collaboration and project hosting