Re: RFC: Code quick-start guide

2009/8/8 Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for your changes.  It's much improved.  A few more ideas:
>
> - - I think it's really odd that people have to specify "Code for this
> project is published in Bazaar branches on Launchpad" after creating
> their project.  Specifying *how* your project will use launchpad seems
> like an important step in creating a project.

It's beyond the scope of Matthew's work here, but it'd be an
interesting idea to fold into a future plan for project
creation/registration, to take people through something like this:

 Now, how about the source code for your project?

 (*) I'd like to store it in Bazaar on Launchpad
 ( ) It's in Bazaar on another server
 ( ) It's in CVS, Subversion, git or Mercurial on another server, and
I want to republish it through Launchpad
 ( ) It's in some other vcs
 ( ) This project has no source code
 ( ) I haven't decided yet
 ( ) I don't want to tell you

and then guide them into the appropriate path

> - - "and then log in to Launchpad from Bazaar by typing bzr
> launchpad-login in your terminal.": launchpad-login doesn't log into
> Launchpad.  It specifies your login (username) for launchpad.

Well, from their point of view it establishes some authentication
credentials on the client, and I believe checks that they work.  It's
not quite 'login' but it's close.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>