Why do lists need special approval?

To follow on from the recent 'why approve projects' discussion:

Ian just created a mailing list team for Windows users of Bazaar -
<https://edge.launchpad.net/~bzr-windows>.  After creating it he
wanted to announce it to the community and invite people to join, but
it kind of deflates the announcement to say 'at some time in the
future you'll be able to join a list' and the distinction between
being on the team but not on the list may be confusing.

> The Launchpad team reviews all new requests for mailing lists. This is to help reduce misuse of the Launchpad's list hosting.

> You can request a mailing list for your team by clicking Configure mailing list on the team's overview page.

> We handle new mailing list application requests several times a day and will enable your mailing list as soon as possible. Once we've approved your mailing list, you'll see a Configure mailing list on your team's overview page.

So maybe he wouldn't have had to wait too long.

On the other hand, since people apparently have to opt in to join a
list, does this really reduce misuse?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>

Follow ups