Re: Integrating community into existing QA process

Hi Danilo,

2009/8/6 Danilo Šegan <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Karl, Matt, Ursula, Diogo,
>
> In the today's team lead call, Curtis raised the issue of QA for
> community contributions and how we're are already overloaded with QA.
>
> We've agreed to try to integrate community into our existing QA process,
> at least for things they can easily help with.
>
> Major components to this would be:
>
>  * existing test plans
>  * QA section in cover letters in merge proposals
>
> It'd be nice to organize test plan generation scripts to link directly
> to MPs if available (Ursula and Diogo, if you can find time to do this,
> that'd be wonderful :), but the first step we want is to get this
> documented as one of the core steps of contributing on
> dev.launchpad.net.

How would one know about a MP from a bug? Adding more info to the
commit message?

What I do in the test plan script is:
1) Process the commit, extracting the bug number (if any) from the
commit message
2) Get the bug information on LP using lplib
3) Add bug details to the test item, and then to the test plan page.

> We want this available to non-coder contributors as well, so having it
> slightly disconnected from "submit a patch" might be useful.  Perhaps a
> top-level item "I want to... verify stuff works" (or whatever makes most
> sense).

+1 on creating that. This may also be pointed to the ones that want to
help to improve LP, don't have the programming-foo but have abilities
to test stuff - does that make sense?
I think this page should contain how LP QA works, and explain what can
be tested easily and what would require help, LOSA's or anything else
that would need advanced access.

Now that we already have landed fixes on Launchpad Itself [1] test
plan, I'd like to know how are we addressing them, asking the
committers to gently do the QA? Testing those ourselves and letting
the next ones under   the "policy" we'll define on the wiki page?
Asking Danilo to test them all alone and let us know the results? :P

It would be great to define that before we have an unmanageable pile
of to-QA items, what could really happen given this cycle is longest
than usual..

> Anyway, I am sure you guys can figure out the best way to lay this out
> yourself. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Danilo

[1] https://dev.launchpad.net/LaunchpadTestPlan/2.2.8